SLEEP

Okay guys, this is starting to cross my mind… at what point has everyone moved their babe from the bedroom to their own room/crib?! Hayden is now 3 months old, and we have been co sleeping from the start. While we were still in Canada she was in a Bassinet beside our bed, but since we’ve been in Europe (with no bassinet) she has been in the Dock a tot, in the bed. I’m just worried she will get used to sleeping beside us, then making the transition to her crib that much more difficult!

Now I definitely love having her beside me, it’s comforting and we all have a great sleep (most nights lol). But now here’s my next thing, the last month she has been sleeping 8:30pm – 5:30am (give or take), but the last week she has been so difficult to put down. We do our usual night time routine that seems to work, her and I have a bath together which always makes her nice and tired, we dim down all the lights, then she gets a bottle and usually falls asleep while drinking it, then we put her down. But the last week once we get her down, she starts crying after about 2 minutes, we give her the soother and that works for about 5 minutes… then we pick her up and she will eat more, fall asleep in our arms, put her down again and she wakes up! ARG!! She used to be so easy to put down and now it’s an hour long process till she falls asleep fully in bed! (which is what my husband and I are doing right now). It’s probably just a phase she’s going through??!

I know she’s only 3 months old, and there’s not going to be a set routine/schedule, but I just don’t want to start bad habits that will be hard to break! You hear about so many things not to do… and so many things you should be doing. But at the same time i’m starting to realize to just stick to whatever is working for US. I would just like everyones opinion and any tips or tricks that work for them! For moving to the crib, and helpful ways to put them down!

I’ve also had lots of people ask me what our nighttime routine is because she is already sleeping 8 hours a night, so maybe this could be helpful for others as well!

(PS. after 45min, a second bottle and some cuddles she is finally sleeping!)

Thanks everyone!

14 thoughts on “SLEEP

1. Melissa says:

Hi.
    It sounds like she’s still hungry. Is she getting enough to eat during the day? I find that it’s more important to give them milk duringbthey day than filling them up at the end of the day. Oftentimes that’s the trick to having them sleep well. Although keep in mind- babies are always going through developmental changes and she could be going through a milestone that won’t last forever. Are you familiar with the app the Wonder Weeks? Sounds like you’re doing the right things with a night routine.
    We made the change to the crib at 2 months. But every baby is different. This helped us sleep more soundly. We are having our 2nd tomorrow so hearing this is a good reminder. 😉
    Good luck!

Melissa

• adventurelittleone says:

This could be it! I definitely feel like she eats more in the late afternoon, but then before bed she’ll only have 1-2oz fall asleep while eating so I put her down, then she wakes up and is probably still hungry! And yes, I have the app Wonder weeks and it does say she will be fussier and hungrier right now, and so far it’s been pretty spot on! Thanks for sharing!

2. Vickie says:

Hi Sammy
    Your daughter is adorable. Just love her cute little nose.
    I follow an author and parenting ‘expert’ who has a passion for RIE parenting (basically respecting your child’s needs). Very interesting.
    She has multiple sleep posts but the one piece that sticks out to me, though difficult to stick to some days haha, is to allow her time to find out how she need or wold like to fall asleep on her own. You can Google her + sleep and see a few posts.
    With both my babies I also used Healthy Sleep, Happy Child to better understand the sleep needs of a baby into childhood … like a damn Bible to surviving the first year! … both of these outlets helped me with patience and understanding as well as figuring out a process that worked best for my child (& the rest of my family bc let’s be honest… one bad sleeper affects the whole family)
    It’s going to be different for everyone.
    There’s also a 3-4 month regression… it sounds like Hayden has been doing so well in the past which proves she’s capable. Good luck with future bedtimes, hope it goes well!

3. Amanda K says:

Our little ones are not far apart! I’m no professional (1st time mom) but my little one just went through a phase and didnt sleep well for 3 weeks. She too was sleeping 8,9,10 hours stretches and out of the blue started waking up 3 times a night. It’s rough but IT WILL PASS I promise! Its usually b.c. they are learning a new milestone. My daughter too sleeps in her doc a tot. She was in her doc a tot in her bassinet. We moved her doc a tot to her crib for a smoother transition and it didnt seem to phase her at all. Keep up with your nightly routine, and you do you though. I was reading every sleep blog and webiste possible it was becomming obsessive. (It was almost worse than no sleep) If your worried about not being able to see/hear her breathing at night, we bought the owlet monitor and it made me feel much more at peace with her being in the other room. All in all you know your little one best and sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches.

4. Maria says:

Hi Sammy! I’m a mama to a 6 month old baby girl and it sounds as though you have done much of the same routines as me, including the dock a tot for cosleeping. I would have had her sleep in our bed forever but I started to worry, like you, that she would get use to it so just before she was 5 months, we moved her to the crib and she transitioned no problem! I think we actually disrupt her sleep less this way without our tossing and turning and her waking to daddy getting ready for work. Eliana is currently teething so we have nights where she doesn’t wake up at night (fewer of those these days), nights where she wakes up once for a feed and back to bed, and then nights where she’s up for 3 feeds. I think it might be comfort nursing with the teething but I’m just taking a shot in the dark 🙂 lol. I did cry the first night I moved her but she had no issues! Thanks for sharing your journey with us mamas 🙂

5. Katie Barry says:

Hi Sam, I had many of the same questions as you ! Then I read sleepsense and it’s life changing! I promise you it’s worth the read. It appears long but you just break it up and read about what’s applicable for your baby’s age. The big thing she stresses is to lay her down before she falls alseep. I followed it and now my daughter is sleeping 11 1/2 hours a night! She gives so many helpful tips about helping her be an independent sleeper 😊 Also my little girl is just a week younger than yours and she’s in her crib now. We use a video monitor to keep a close eye on her.

6. Larissa says:

My little guy is a few weeks younger than Hayden and use to be a struggle to put down and then would get overtired which would make it worse. For us what really worked and I think will help as he gets older and he can learn to self soothe/sleep train is to look at the day as two different 12 hours periods. 12 hours of day, 12 hours of night so now rather then him going to sleep around 830-9 we work off a 630-630 day. He easily goes down at 630, most nights he wakes up once to eat but other than that sleeps 630-630. So maybe try and bring her bedtime sooner and see if it helps.

As far as crib, we were in the same boat with the dockatot, what has been working for us as he does his naps in his crib (if we are home) so he is getting use to it. Also when I put him down for the night he goes down in his crib, I still move him over to our bed when we go to bed but I think that is more for my sake than his! He transitioned really easily, they say around 4 months it gets harder to change up their sleep which is why I have been trying to get him familiar with the 12 hour night sleep, his crib etc now.

Sounds like you are doing great though! Each family has to do what works for them.

Would love to see you do an update post on your feeding journey. Not sure if you are still pumping and bottle feeding but would love to hear an update. We had so many breastfeeding struggles, and then eventually he just stopped taking the breast.. I got to the pumping and feeding expressed milk stage and it’s tough. One reason I had to get him sleeping better is I need to have time to pump.

Anyway she is adorable and love reading the posts.

7. Eden says:

Hi Sammy,

My son sounds very similar to sweet Hayden. He is 41/2 months old. Darce was incredible easy to put down, but around 31/2 months he started the classic “4 month sleep regression” that I thought for sure we would bypass because he was such a great sleeper. He’s now (after 3 weeks of terrible sleep, getting up in the night several times) started to go back to doing longer stretches. He does however, go to bed much easilier then he used to and I have found that to help (7pm). I have started him having his naps in his crib so he understands that is a place of comfort and sleep, and plan to move him in the next week or so. I was going to move him sooner, but he also got his first tooth this week and I didn’t feel like it was fair to try and sleep train him while he is in pain from teething. All I can say is, follow your mama gut. You know what is best for your little lady! xo

8. Lisa Hicks says:

Oh gosh, this was the story of my life with my little guy. That being said, 8:30-5 is REALLY amazing for that age, so while it’s frustrating to get her down sometimes, you’re obviously doing something right.

Don’t worry too much about the “bad habits” I was all consumed worrying about them in the early days, but so much changes over time and even if you do develop a “bad habit” you can always correct it. My son fell asleep at the bottle pretty much the entire first year of his life and sleeps 11 hours (mostly) at night. If it’s working for you guys and everyone is happy, keep at it!

Finally, I’ve found whenever we get into a good routine, we hit a developmental milestone or teething or sickness or all or none and we have a couple rough days. It’s for sure frustrating but instead of fighting it, just go with the flow because this too shall pass.

Hope this helps! You’re doing AMAZING!!!

9. Savanna says:

Ahhh reading your blog sounds like I’m reading my life. I have a little one who is about a month younger than Hayden. We too are in Europe for the hockey season. Our baby has been sleeping in the bed since we got here, but I’m afraid if I don’t try and transition her to the crib sooner than later it’s going to become harder and harder. I’ve heard that when baby starts to wake up around same time everyday and wants to eat and nap around same general times, that’s when you can start a routine. Unfortunately for us..we have a horrible little napper during the day which makes her over tired at night and then getting to bed is a long process of her falling asleep. During that time I have to lay right next to her until she’s in her deep sleep. I feel like I’m stuck in a vicious cycle. I love reading everyone’s suggestions. Hope you guys find a good routine that works for you guys!!

10. Pam Nease says:

Hello Sammy!
    Greetings from your hometown of Kelowna.

It is such a joy to meet you via Instagram with Jaime Spielmann’s shout out and recommendation about me and my services.

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful little girl, Hayden Louise. She is so adorable! I love the pictures of Jax too. I have two kids, Max who learned to sleep at 5.5 months (life changing) and Maddy who learned to sleep as a newborn. They are now 11 and 8 and still love to sleep!

These two experiences made such a profound impact on me that I have dedicated my professional life to helping others. In November, I will be celebrating my eighth anniversary.

To start, please do not worry about potential bad habits. She is still so young. I do not like to call them bad habits – they are temporary tools. Please continue to help her into sleep and back into sleep for now until you find a solution you feel comfortable implementing. Now, with the wisdom of hindsight and all the knowledge and experience, I have acquired due to my career , I was teaching my own son to cry rather than to sleep before I hired a professional to help me.

Snuggle your sweet little girl and help her sleep – as long as she is safe, and you are safe. It is all good for now.

You have already established a nightly ritual – good job! I know it is not as easy right now to get her to sleep but keep doing it for now. She eventually needs to learn how to do it on her own but please do not attempt teaching her until you have a solid game plan in place.

I will post a couple of blog posts that I hope you find helpful. There are lots more on my website.

Love,
    Pam

11. Pam Nease says:

Hello again Sammy!

This one will help explain why that was such a great idea to have a nightly ritual with Hayden. Well done Momma! That’s why you had some really great long stretches of sleep by night.

You are so right – there is no strict sleep schedule for a little one her age but you can still guide her to sleep.

I hope you find this one helpful too.
    Love,
    Pam

12. Lindsay says:

Hi!
    I would move her to her own room asap. My son is six months and sleeping wonderfully now. Around four months he started waking every time I moved since he was still in our room. I wished I moved him sooner while he was still sleeping through the night!! After a very difficult week he started sleeping beautifully in his own room. I can’t help but think it would have been easier when he was sleeping without wake ups.
    Hope this helps!